Sunday 7 September 2014

Farewell to the best nights I can't remember

The Butter Factory announced that they will be ceasing operations in March 2015 after 9 crazy years of wild party nights.

I suffered from some major tanorexia in those days. And I had never seen an outfit with a plunging neckline that I didn't like.
In Butter Factory's infancy, I served as one of the door bitches at its first home along Mohammad Sultan Road. It was at Butter where I first discovered the joys of fashion experimentation. Taking my cue from the ever funky bosses Bobby, Ritz, Celeste and Eu Yan, I was able to play around wearing the craziest things, dressing according to themes and even in full costume.They really brought something different to the scene with their one-of-a-kind party themes. I owe them a debt of gratitude because they gave me a place to express my creativity and the confidence to wear the silliest things.

Everyday work attire.
I remember the early days, the condensation on the windows because of how cold and empty the club was. Then, like a lightning strike, word spread about the new 'it' club with its flamboyant personalities, indie cool kids, and sultry R&B dancers - and people couldn't get enough. When the club moved to the new premises at Fullerton, I remember the buzz of the new place, I joined the snaking queues outside so that I could be a small part of its history-making.

Strike a pose, you poserface
Butter Factory was where I made new friends and lost some old ones, where I laughed and cried, where I discovered the joys of electro-disco, and where I learned that dancing is just not a talent of mine. It saddens me to know that future generations of club kids won't be able to enjoy the space that was always welcoming of the fashion freaks and disco darlings, but I know that they'll move on to something bigger and better and I can't wait to see what's next.

The alcohol level in these pictures is just too damn high.
Thanks for reading, thanks to Butter for the memories and non-memories BECAUSE ALCOHOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!